Advancement Via Individual Determination
A College-Preparatory Program
"High expectations, encouragement, day-to-day help, a vision of college as attainable, and guidance on how to negotiate the system. AVID involves students in a strong group of peers and adults who share a commitment to academic achievement and who work together to help the group succeed." -AVID Center
The mission of AVID is to ensure that all students, especially students with academic potential, become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a global society.
Students who have the potential and desire to attend a four-year college and have...
- Appropriate classroom behavior
- Good attendance record
- Between a 2.0 and 3.5-grade point average (B's & C's)
- Willingness to commit to completing homework each night
- Willingness to become College Ready
WHAT CAN AVID DO FOR YOU?
WHO IS IT FOR?
- Students who want to go to college!
- Students who want to succeed!
- Students who want to better themselves!
- Learning with college tutors!
- Developing success strategies
- Researching colleges and the application process
- Researching and preparing for a professional career
- Visiting college campuses
- Participating in community activities
- Provide academic instruction and other support to students
- Prepare students for high school and, ultimately, eligibility to four-year colleges and universities
- To increase "coping skills" of students and help them learn how to study and be successful students
- Motivate students to seek a college education
- Increase the participants' level of career awareness
IN THE AVID ELECTIVE CLASS STUDENTS WILL...
- Learn organizational and study skills
- Work to develop critical thinking skills
- Learn effective communication skills
- Learn how to ask higher-level questions
- Get academic help from peers and tutors
- Participate in enrichment and motivational activities that make achievement and college seem attainable
AVID PROGRAM FOCUS:
- Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading
- Focus Notes
- Tutorial Sessions
- Socratic Seminars
- Time Management
- Goal Setting
- Testing Strategies