8:30 a.m. Office opens
8:45 a.m. Buildings are open to students
9:00 a.m. Classes begin
3:25 p.m. School is dismissed.
3:45 p.m. Campus is closed to students unless involved in a supervised activity.
If your student will be absent, please call the attendance line at 541.790.5525 before 9:00 am on the day of the absence.
If your child needs to leave campus during the regular school day, please notify the office with a note or phone call before 9:00 a.m. on the day of the absence. We will issue a yellow off-campus permit to your child that they can show to their teacher when it’s time for them to come to the office to be picked up. This permit lets teachers know the office has received confirmation of an appointment and that the student is cleared to leave class.
Attendance is a crucial factor to school success. Oregon State law mandates that students maintain regular attendance. The administration may excuse an absence or a tardy in the case of emergency, student illness, or death in the family. Parents may request, in writing if possible, that an absence or tardy be excused by contacting the office. Written requests should note the specific reason for the absence or tardy. In the event of chronic non-attendance due to illness, the administration will require communication from the child’s doctor before absences will be excused.
Students are expected to be in the classroom with all materials ready to work when class begins. Kennedy allows a generous five-minute passing time between each class. This provides students with ample time to walk from class to class with stops at lockers or restrooms as needed. During passing time, there may be time to visit for a moment; however, the purpose of passing time is to get from class to class. Kennedy will send home a phone dialer message each time your child is tardy to class.
Hall/Off Campus Passes
- Kennedy is a closed campus.
- Any student out of a scheduled class must have a hall pass issued by a staff member.
- Students are expected to remain on the school grounds during the day. Once a student arrives on campus, he/she is not permitted to leave campus without a parent’s note. Parents must call or send a note to the office if a student is to be dismissed early.
- Students with parent permission to leave school early will be issued an off-campus pass from the office.
- Students must check out through the main office before leaving campus.
- Students leaving school without permission will be considered truant and disciplinary action may be taken.
We ask that you please make your personal plans before school. We are not able to guarantee delivery of messages after 3:00 p.m. unless it is an emergency. We try to minimize student messages so as to not interrupt teachers during instruction.
Student Telephone Use
- A student telephone is available in the office.
- The phones in classrooms are for teacher use only.
- Students may use the office phone before school, after school, or during lunch break.
- Keep phone calls to one minute.
- Students are strongly discouraged from bringing student visitors to school.
- Advance administration permission is always required.
- Requests for permission must be made at least two days in advance.
- Visitors should be students of middle school age who are in good standing at his/her home school.